Bagerhat district is situated in the south western part of Bangladesh. It was known as “Khalifatabad” anciently. There is debate about the naming of Bagerhat. This is because some historians think that the region is adjacent to Sundarban and the region once under the raid of tigers (Bagh). As a result, it is called “Bagher Hat.” Over the passing of time the word Bagher and Hat turned into Bagerhat. But, some researchers think that Bagerhat came from the name of “Baker Hat” that once sat on the northern part of Bhairab River.
On the other hans, some Historians think that the “Khalifa –e- Abad” established by Khan Jahan Ali (R) that Bag (garden) convert to Bagerhat by the passing of age. Besides, the name of great saint Khan Jahan Ali (R) is related to the history of Bagerhat.
Geography of Bagerhat District
The total areas of Bagerhat district is 3959.11 square kilometers. The district is bounded by Gopalganj District and Narail District on the north, the Bay of Bengal on the south, Gopalganj District, Pirojpur District and Barguna District on the east and Khulna District on the west. Main rivers of the district are Panguchi, Daratana, Madhumati River, Pasur River, Haringhata, Mongla River, Baleshwar, Bangra and Goshairkhali. It’s located at 21°49′ and 22°59′ north latitudes and in between 89°32′ and 89°98′ east longitudes.
Upazilas List of Bagerhat District
- Bagerhat Sadar
Number of Union Parishad : 76
Bagerhat District Economy
The main economy source of Bagerhat district is Mongla, which is one of the two main ports of Bangladesh. So, the Port of Mongla is here. Moreover, Rampal and Fakirhat, two upazilas of Bagerhat is known as Qwait of Bangladesh due to its huge production of shrimp and earning a lot of foreign exchange. The crops that are produced in the district are Paddy, jute, banana, coconut, betel Leaf, betel nut, peas, potato, watermelon, sugarcane, vegetables etc.
Bagerhat District Borders
- North- Gopalganj and Narail District
- South- Bay of Bengal
- East- Gopalganj, Pirojpur and Barguna District
- West- Khulna District
Bagerhat District Hospital
Bagerhat district has 11 hospitals, beds have 415 beds, (Sadar Thakapartal -100 beds, 03 bedding 50 beds, 5 31 beds, 10 beds in maternity center), Union Family Welfare Center 62,
Bagerhat District 10th Parliament Member’s
- Bagerhat-1: Sheikh Helal Uddin, Bangladesh Awami League
- Bagerhat-2: Advocate Mir Showkat Ali Badsha, Bangladesh Awami League
- Bagerhat-3: Habibun Nahar, Bangladesh Awami League
- Bagerhat-4: Alhaj Dr. Mozammel Hossain, Bangladesh Awami League
Bagerhat District Major Crops
Bagerhat district grows paddy, jute, banana, coconut, betel Leaf, betel nut, peas, potato, watermelon, sugarcane, vegetables etc.
Bagerhat District Major Fruits
Bagerhat district grows Mango(Aam), Jackfruit(Kathal), Banana, guava, papaya(Pepe), Coconut(Narkel), Litchi(Lichu), Lemon(Lebu), Watermelon(Tormuj), bel, tetul etc.
Bagerhat District Major Rivers
The rivers of Bagerhat district are Mongla, Modhumoti, Shila, Haringhata, Baleshari, Pathuria, Bangra, Daratana, Panguchi, Pashur, Vangra, Goshairkhali etc.
Dharla river :
Bagerhat District Industrial information
- Cement factory- 04,
- LP plant- 02,
- Small industries- 542,
- Cottage industries- 2,302,
- BSCIC industries- 01
Bagerhat District Bank
- Agrani Bank Chitalmari Branch, Mobile # 01819-710814
- First Security Islami Bank Limited Bagerhat Branch, Contact Number: 0468-64100
- BASIC Bank Limited, Fakirhat, Bagerhat
- Standard Bank
- Pubali Bank
- BASIC Bank
Bagerhat District Major Non-government Organization (NGO)
- Grameen bank etc.
Post office with Postal code
- Bagerhat Sadar post code: 9300
- Bagerhat: C College 9301
- Bagerhat: Rangdia 9302
- Bagerhat: Chalna Ankorage 9350
- Bagerhat: Mongla Port 9351
- Bagerhat: Barabaria 9361
- Bagerhat: Chitalmari 9360
- Bagerhat: Bhanganpar Bazar 9372
- Bagerhat: Fakirhat 9370
- Bagerhat: Mansa 9371
- Bagerhat: Kachua 9310
- Bagerhat: Sonarkola 9311
Shat Gambuj Mosque, Chandra Mahal Bagerhat, Graveyard and Lake of Khan Jahan Ali, Ghoradighi, Mongla Sea Port, Sundarban, Robart Morel Monument, Modhumala Temple and Lake, Buffalo Cultivation Centre, Panighata Lake, Sona Mosque, Ajoddha Temple, Shib Temple, Hiron Poient, Tagore Lake, Rampal Lake, Seven and Nine Tomb Mosque, Kodla Math, Durgapur Shiva Math, Mongla Sea Port etc.
Notable Famous people
Dr Nilima Ibrahim (Writer), Sree Das Gupta (Politician), Rudra Mohammad Shahidullah (Poet), Prof. Abdullah Abu Sayed (Writer and Social Worker), Prof. Abu Baker Shiddique, Sheikh Amjad Ali, Kiron Chandra Roy, A. S. M. Mostafizur Rahaman, Prof. Moazzem Hossain, Prof. Kazi Azhar Ali, Prof. Ruhul Amin, Dr Sheikh Gaus Mia, Bidhu Vushan Basu, Sheikh Kamruzzaman Tuku (Commander of Mujib Bahini) etc.
Bagerhat District Miscellaneous
- Language: Bangla
- Primary Schools: 1090
- High Schools: 282
- College: 33
- Area: 2,296 Km2
- Population: 5882 square kilometers
- Density: 373/Sq Km
- Radio Stations: Bangladesh Betar
- Newspapers: Daily Sundarban, Daily Doratana, Weekly Khan Zahan
- Govt hospital: 11
- Administration: Tapan Kumar Biswas, Deputy Commissioner of Bagerhat District.
- Divition: Khulna
- Time Zone: +6
- Postal Code: 9300
- Official Website: Bagerhat.gov.bd
- Mosque (Mosjid): major 5 mosques are Shat Gombuj Masjid, Nine dome Mosque, Singara Mosque, Ronvijoypur Mosque, The Chuna Khola Mosque
- Temple (Mandir): 2 major temples
- Cyclone Center: 14
- Homoeopathic College: 1
- River port: 2
- Stadium: Bagerhat Jela Chira Songstha
- Public Library: 2
- Hat / Bazar : 6 Major Hat