The location of Feni district is in the South-Eastern part of Bangladesh Administrative division of Chittagong, which is under the Administrative division of Chittagong. Making it the ninth-most populous district in Chittagong Division, the district's estimated population stood at 1,437,371 as of 2015. Formerly it was a part of Greater Noakhali. It’s Feni Sadar, which is the administrative hub of the district locating in the central section of the district. It was served as a sub-district under the district of Noakhali until 15 February 1984 and the previous name of the district was Shamsher Nagar.
As it’s said that Feni is a district of Chittagong division and it’s total area of this district is 928.34 sq km. Langalkotk upazila of Comilla on the north, Senbagh of Noakhali, Noakhali Company gonj in the west-south, Tripura state of India on the north-east, Mirsarai upazila of Chittagong on the south-east and the estuar of the Bangasosagar in the south.
Number of Union Parishad: 54
Feni district’s economy mainly depends of the agriculture. There are 128,830 (54.23%) holdings are farms and remaining 10, 8745 holdings (45.77%) are non-farms, out of total 237,575 holdings of the district. Also, the non-agricultural activities depends on the non-farm holdings largely. The non-farm holdings play an important role for the district despite the growth of agriculture activities.
There are various farm-holdings products like crops, namely, local and HYV rice, wheat, vegetables, spices, cash crops, pulses, oilseeds, maize and others. The district grows various fruits like banana, jackfruits, guava, coconut, etc. Besides, there are plenty of fishes of various species, especially marine-species, are available in the district.
Feni district’s total population is 14, 37,371 where Male 6, 94,128 and Female 7, 43,243. The sex ratio is 93:100 and the population density 1451/Sq Km along with annual growth rate is 1.46%. Besides, the rate of literacy of the district is 59.60% where Male 61.10% and Female 58.30%. The rate of school attendance is 55.60% for 5 to 24 years age group.
Feni-1: Shirin Akhter, Jatiya Samajtantrik Dal
Feni-2: Nizam Uddin Hazari, Bangladesh Awami League
Feni-3: Rahim Ullah, Independent
Feni district grows paddy, pulses, vegetables, maize, spices, oilseeds, wheat etc.
Feni district’s major fruits are Mango, jackfruit, coconut, lichi, banana, guava etc.
The main rivers of Feni district are the Feni and Mihuri etc.
There are all commercial and government bank in Feni district. Some of them are below:
There are some newspapers in Feni district. Some of them are Nabo Nur, Purbodesh, Minar, Pallibarta, Fashal Katha, Nirjhor, Talim, Gano Manush, Feni, Bartabaho, Jhugbarta, Barta Doot, Kankan, Gano Chetona, Gram Barta, Weekly Sangram, etc.
Fulgazi College was established in 1972 in Baasura village on the land donated by Paresh Chandra Roy Chowdhury, Dinbondhu Roy Chowdhury, Sudarshan Roy Chowdhury and Dhirendra Roy Chowdhury. There are many ancient artifacts in different places of Chhagalnaiya thana of Feni. Among these famous works are the mosque, the temple, the brick building, the shrine, the shrine, the dighi, the roads, the stones, the ancient trees. Apart from these ancient monuments built in the Mughal and Nawabi periods, the ruler of Tripura, "Bhati Tiger", built and built during the time of Shamser Gajir, has also been standing as a black witness for the glory of region.
There are many famous places to visit in Feni district. These include Hatia Island, Graveyard of St. Pagla Mia, Muhuri Barrage, Sarsadi Mosque and Fort, Sasam gazi Fort and Armoury, Kachar Bari of Tripura Moharaza, Bijoy Sing Lake, Rajazhi Lake, Lalpur and Shuvapur Fort, BRRI, Feni Academy etc.
Some people have enlightened the Feni district. These include Shah Syed Amir Uddin Pagla Miah/Baba( R) (regarded as founder of feni), Saint Mamu Fakir (R),Begum Khaleda Zia (former Prime Minister), Sir A. F. Rahman (the first Muslim Vice Chancellor of Dhaka University), Prof. A.K. Azad Chowdhury (Former Vice-Chancellor of Dhaka University and present Chairman of UGC), Dr. Mustafa Chowdhury (former Public Service Commission Chairman), Prof. Ahmed Shafee (Vice-Chancellor of East West University), Former Politician and Businessman Mowlana Abdul Wadud etc.